These forums are read only, please use our new Community here.

Main :: Line6ers Lounge

Line 6 Non Product Specific Discussion

Does anyone here have a Boss DR-880 Dr. Rhythm?
by Hey_Joe on 2008-04-12 16:30:56
I have been looking for a user to discuss some questions with. As most of us know Boss is not as cool as Line6 and does not have a user forum. I have Googled for any type of support and get a crappy Yahoo group which is useless as is the Yahoo GR-20 group I tried.
I sent away for a DVD tutorial from ProAudioDVD's for $29 and it is useful but only 2 hours of info covering 62 features on the unit. Like many of the more intense Boss/Roland products, the instructions leave little to be desired. Just for the heck of it I have tried looking for something at GT Central in case there is a Boss spin off site but no such luck.
The unit is great! You can check it out and watch a vid or 2 if you want here at
http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=473&ParentId=69
I chose it over a sequencer (Reason and drum refills, BFD , EasyDrum...) because of the Rolland SRX library (440 drum and percussion sounds, 40 bass sounds). I really dig it but just wish there was something like Line6's forum.

Just wondering if anyone else here in this huge Line6 community has one.

Re: Does anyone here have a Boss DR-880 Dr. Rhythm?
by stumpsout on 2008-04-14 18:16:49
Hey Joe,

I believe member dlgmusicltd has one. Maybe try a pm to him.

by rictay73 on 2008-04-15 07:01:22
Hey_Joe, could you keep me in the loop on the DR-880? I have been considering getting one but, like you, couldn't find that much information regarding using it and whatnot.

Also, any idea where I can check out some soundclips of that unit?

Thanks.

by Hey_Joe on 2008-04-15 07:51:45
Thanks stumps,

I did a search on DLG and DR-880 Dr. Rhythm but didn't find anything but you must remember reading something I can't find.

I'll PM him and see if he does have one.

thanks again..

by Hey_Joe on 2008-04-15 08:11:28
rickay,
I really dig the sound of them.
I first saw them on the link I posted above. That's the only sound clip. Many videos to watch and some audio clips too.
Then I went to good old GC and bought the
Dr. Rhythm DR-670...less convincing drums and bass...not from the Roland synth library like the 880...took it back and uped for the 880. The sound is superior to the lesser Boss stuff and to my ears all the sequencer stuff (IMHO) and the bass is Great and I can trigger it from my GR-20 guitar synth. The instructions are just so involved, like pealing an onion.
I just have to learn how to get the SMF into the recording programs. I usually use RiffWorks standard but there is no midi in so I have to do the drums and bass in wav and then to Recycle to REX II (which is all part of the whole learning curve) and then I can use the Rex player in RW.
My advice to you is to get them on a 30 day trial *, and give them a try to really know for yourself of how good it sounds and what it can do. *( GC calls them pro audio - only a 14 day trial with a 15% restocking fee - I got the manager to wave the restock fee and gave me a full 30 days IN WRITING - too much to learn in a 14 day period to make a final decision) Maybe even spend $29 on the DVD to see what your getting yourself into before the $500 is a done deal at the music store..

by pbear5 on 2008-04-15 08:46:56
if you like the sounds but you don't like programming (i hated programming my SR-16) you could use your DAW to create/edit MIDI rhythm tracks and run them out to the Boss unit. the problem that i always had was syncing my SR-16 reliably with my DAW--meaning basically that rhythms programmed into the drum box are useless if you want them synchronized with a DAW project--better to use it as an external MIDI sound source. it's easier on your CPU than BFD etc and you get the sounds that you like. BFD would be much easier to work with and i can't believe that it wouldn't sound better than the Boss unit--especially if you consider the processing flexibility.

by Hey_Joe on 2008-04-15 10:02:56
pbear -

Well, I own it now and have for a few months so...
> BFD would be much easier to work with and I can't believe that it wouldn't sound better than the Boss unit--especially if you consider the processing flexibility.
this point you make has little bearing on what I can do, I mean I own it and really dig the bass and drum sounds.

> if you like the sounds but you don't like programming (i hated programming my SR-16) you could use your DAW to create/edit MIDI rhythm tracks and run them out to the Boss unit. I have tried this with some Bill Bruford midi twiddly bits loops that I bought a while ago and I do have Reason but all the learning needed for this and the Dr. Rhythm is overwhelming and takes away from just playing my guitar.

I wasn't really complaining about it as much as I was desiring that which does not exist; a forum like Line6's for issues and challenges that come up, as well as tips and tricks. I don't mind the programing, there are 3 ways to do it with the 880.

I bought it because I find that I create based on a groove (when alone). I like the instant drummers that are available for RiffWorks (the real/organic non sequenced sound) but unless you are into straight, (to me) boring rock drums, it wasn't getting me the groove that I was needing.
I grew up listening to Zappa's drummers and dig the stuff that King Crimson do and what Miles was doing with his huge rhythm section in his later fusion stuff. So this is what I was looking to reproduce - I played drums for 30 years but haven't a kit now and this is much less than a set of V-Drums.

by rictay73 on 2008-04-15 10:39:31
The only hardware drum machines I have experience with are the Alesis SR-16 and HR-16. They were time consuming to program (if you were going for realism) but I didn't mind that so much. I know the software drums are the current thing and are the wave of the future but, call me a dinosaur, I still like having separate units for each task. I would much rather have a separate drum unit, keyboard, etc. and just leave my PC for recording those things.

I will have to look into the DR-880 a little more. I'll try and download the manual tonight as I am curious if it has USB that could be used for routing different drums to separate tracks on a DAW.

Thanks for the information!

by Hey_Joe on 2008-04-15 10:44:16
> I will have to look into the DR-880 a little more.
> I'll try and download the manual tonight as I am
> curious if it has USB that could be used for routing
> different drums to separate tracks on a DAW.

As I understand it, both from the manual and the tutorial this is possible.
BUT - here is were the info is sparse and where a support forum would come in handy.

by Line6Hugo on 2008-04-15 11:23:00
Hey_Joe,

Since this thread really isn't discussing or troubleshooting any Line 6 products, I will mark the thread as assumed answered. But, if you want, you can re-post the question for forum feedback, just make sure not to mark it as a question.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by pbear5 on 2008-04-15 12:01:52
for me, the easiest way to program MIDI drum patterns is just within the DAW's standard MIDI editor--most of them are very similar so if you learn one you've got them all down. the only challenge is learning the note assignments but that doesn't take long (Cubase has a Drum Map that is handy--it basically allows you to create a drum tablature track that only has the instruments that you want.) programming is usually a matter of drawing in your hits, adjusting some velocities, copy, paste, loop done.

my experience with the Alesis SR-16 was that you set up a pattern (Part A) to record, hit record (Play in record mode) add one or two instruments per pass (kick, snare, hats...) until you were happy. then you do Part B then Fill A & Fill B. with Patterns ready you could record a Song--a sequence of changes between Part A & Part B (As far as i know, not limited to how many different Parts/Patterns used per Song) with or without Fills. Step Recording was technically possible but, in practice, so rediculously cumbersome that i just never tried it--even editing a "live" pattern was bad too. anyway, that's why i'm kind of down on hardware drum machines--you know that the pre-programed patterns where not added using the interface, they were imported from a DAW editor.

by rictay73 on 2008-04-15 12:14:58
The way that I had my SR and HR-16 set up was to use the SR for cymbals and snares. I would use the HR for kicks and toms - this way I had separate outputs for each "range" of the kit. I would slave the HR off the SR via MIDI.

I used the step recording method but in this way: I would lay down the very basic part of my pattern and then go into step recording mode and be able to place drum hits a hair off the beat for a more human feel. It was also much easier for programming intricate little bits as well. Doing a whole song that way was awful but I got so used to it that I still go into my DAW and place each MIDI event for the drums one at a time for the whole song. No MIDI trigger, just point and click.

by Hey_Joe on 2008-04-15 14:31:18
The 880 is essentially the same but with this Dr. Rhythm you have the ability to record a chord progression along with the drums using the Roland library of bass sounds and adding GT-6 COSM.
It also has the EZ Compose and Groove Modify features which lets you create a pattern by making a few settings -you don’t have to input each individual note of the rhythm, you can also add a chord progression and fill-ins. Groove Modify functions lets you modify velocity add ghost notes or change to a shuffle. It works for simpler stuff pulling patterns from the 500 pattern pre-sets and piecing these together for a song.